Monday, February 4, 2008

A Welcome, and The Perfect Valentine's Gift for a Pre-Raphaelite Lover


Welcome to the first post of my new blog! Although there are a couple of absolutely remarkable blogs on the topic of the Pre-Raphaelite and Arts & Crafts movements out there, (namely, The Pre-Raphaelite Sisterhood and Earthly Paradise) I have rediscovered a long-term passion for these remarkable men and women and felt the need to create my own corner of the internet devoted to them. I by no means consider myself an expert, just a fellow afficionado.


I have many exciting blog posts up my sleeves, but I wanted to start with a seasonal suggestion. A few months back, my mother, who runs an Amazon.com bookseller's account, gave me a copy of a lovely little book that would make an idea gift for any beloved with a love for the Pre-Raphaelites. The book is called Love: Penhaligon's Scented Treasury of Verse and Prose (yes, it's really scented with rose oil) and it is full of beautiful classic love poetry. Not all of the illustrations in the book are Pre-Raphaelite, but a majority are, and the author seems to especially love John William Waterhouse. It's a charming little book, and a wonderful way to tell someone you love them.


3 comments:

Margaret said...

Hi Grace,

I'm thrilled that you find Earthly Paradise remarkable :)I'm always really excited to find people who are interested in the Pre-Raphaelite era--there aren't enough blogs out there. If enough people show interest maybe we should start a forum.

I took a look at the book. I love the idea of rose scented poetry!

kari and kijsa said...

Just bopped over to meet you! Congratulations on your first post!!

blessings,
kari & kijsa

Anonymous said...

Oddly, or perhaps predicatably enough, I have that very same Elizabethan Rose perfume. Didn't know there was a book too.