Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Rufus Wainwright as The Sleeping Knight


Artist Susan Carr recently messaged me and shared with me her above artwork, along with this information:

"I have recently completed a painting inspired by Burne-Jones' Briar Rose series, which was painted for and still hangs in Buscot House, near where I live. It was also inspired by the songs of Rufus Wainwright and I have based the knight on him. He is aware of this and has said he would like to exhibit it on his website. I am taking it to the Mall Galleries in London on Saturday, for the Society of Women Artists Open Exhibition, which I hope it will be selected for."

Rufus Wainwright has made reference to Victorian art before, posing as The Lady of Shalott for the cover of his album, Want Two.

(called to my attention a while back by Jen Parrish)



Susan Carr's artwork impresses me greatly. It's readily identifiable as a portrait, but the fact that the subject is recognized doesn't decrease from its aesthetic appeal.

4 comments:

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Dear, dear Grace!

How are you? I can see that your eye for beauty is still going strong! And your work, your projects...is it all going well?

Anita

Margaret said...

Love Wainwright's music and he actually makes a good model for the knight. What a neat painting!

Daria Hlazatova said...

i adore rufus wainwright and this cd sleeve is gorgeous! love your blog!

Grace said...

Thanks for the comments, all! :D