Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Antoon Van Wely

A recent post on a Live Journal group for Art Nouveau made me aware of this artist. In the post, brotherinbeauty writes:

"Arts & Crafts, and the Pre-Raphaelites were the breeding ground of Art Nouveau.
The serene and ethereal look of the women painted by the pre-Raphaelites Dante Gabriel Rossetti or Edward Coley Burne-Jones echoed in the expressions of Art Nouveau women in the next decades. A Dutch painter who was very much influenced by the Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood was Antoon van Wely. His qualities were international recognized, exept (typical Dutch) in his own country. Here are some examples of his work."





5 comments:

painter said...

Hi,

Enjoy your beautiful pre-raphaelite blog. I had never heard of VanWely.

Thought you might be interested in my blog with many of my paintings that echo pre-raphaelite subjects.

Let me know what you think.
http://betweendreamsanddaylight.blogspot.com/


Cheers,

Painter

Grace said...

Lovely blog! I look forward to seeing more.

Christa Zaat said...

The top post is not by Antoon van Welie. This is the proper information:

Alexandre Séon (French painter) 1855 - 1917
La Pensée (The Thought), 1898
oil on canvas
61 x 38 cm.
private collection

Anonymous said...

I'm afraid the first painting is not by Antoon van Welie. It was painted by Alexandre Séon (French painter) 1855 - 1917. It is called La Pensée (The Thought), 1898. oil on canvas, 61 x 38 cm. It is beautiful though.

Grace said...

Thank you for the information! I've updated the post accordingly.