Thursday, July 9, 2009

Pre-Raphaelites.org


For the most part, I usually try to avoid repeating information here that has already been given on one of the other sister blogs devoted to the Pre-Raphaelites. However, Margaret over at The Earthly Paradise has found such a treasure trove, it deserves to be shouted from the rooftops!

The website is run by the Birmingham Art Museum, and features a collection of 2238 artworks by the Pre-Raphaelites. But that's not all...the website features incredibly detailed scans of each piece that can be navigated through their Microsoft Silverlight technology so that you can see every little detail. If you can't experience the art in-person, this is doubtlessly the next best thing.

I only have been able to access about 22 pages of the collection yet, but as I pore over every sketch, I already have found some absolutely beautiful treasures.

For one thing, I can admire the absolute beauty of Millais' sketches even more. Even the most vaguely-rendered drawing has such romantic feeling to it!


I love this sketch, which shows Effie wearing "natural jewelry"...very faerie-esque...at around the time they fell in love.
I had never before seen Hughes' artwork, Amy, which shows a figure wearing the same gown as April Love, gazing at her name carved into a tree.
And Rossetti's early works are, as always, capable of such beauty!!

And all this in the first 22 pages! I cannot wait to explore more!!

7 comments:

Robin said...

I really love Rossetti's early stuff and especially his water colors. They have a palpable dramatic tension that you don't really get in some of his later works. Sort of seems like the difference between youthful vitality and drug-infused indolence.

Meredith said...

The tree reminds of this one
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fa/LongEngagementAHughes.jpg

Dosha said...

Dearest Grace,

I simply wanted to thank you personally for your dedication to sharing your love of Pre-Raphaelite art with the world. Learning of the Birmingham Museum's marvelous online resource / gallery absolutely made my day! I look forward to perusing the site as well as future delicious blogs from The Beautiful Necessity.

Warm Wishes,

Natasha
Life After Dark

Meredith said...

Ok, I just saw "The Long Engagement" in person today at the Minneapolis Institute of Art. The name carved in the tree is "Amy" so it's definitely meant to be related to the other picture you posted.

Hermes said...

Its a great new site. I have been in correspondance with them, and the people who run it are really friendly.

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Grace, this is a treasure trove indeed! I LOVE IT and so will my husband when he wakes up this morning! Thanks and come by for a visit soon, I will be back to the "land of the living in Blogland" very soon. Anita

Grace said...

Ro, I totally agree...his early work is so much more narrative!

Meredith, I definitely think the two paintings are related...I think the comments on the Amy painting said something about that too.

Natasha, thank you so much for your kind words!

Hermes, how exciting to be in communication with them! There is one piece I have heard is in their collection, and I am eager to see it added. Apparently they aren't done adding items yet!