Saturday, May 5, 2012

Positively Indecent


Like so many random wonderful things on the internet, I stumbled across this webpage entirely by accident, but I am quite intrigued by it.  Steven William Rimmer combines current event political commentary with Pre-Raphaelite imagery on the webpage Indecent Images.  He provides examples of Pre-Raphaelite images that could possibly, under recent potential legislature to censor the internet, be considered forbidden. 

I am not a lover of debate, political or otherwise, and don't want to stir the pot, but I did find the idea of using Pre-Raphaelite art for current commentary to be quite fascinating!


3 comments:

Pegasus said...

I think they would find William-Adolphe Bouguereau even more indicent! (his contemporaries did for sure)

amiller said...

It does have a lot prettier pictures than most articles on internet law. I wonder what other laws he's talking about, though, because the only one he gives by name, the Communication Decency Act, had the indecency parts struck down by the Supreme Court in 1997. (I googled it because I have a lot of friends who are computer geeks, and this is exactly the sort of thing they would complain about, so I was a little surprised I'd never heard them mention it. Also, I love all three of your blogs.)

Grace said...

Amiller, interesting....I didn't even think to pursue the legal side of the claims.

Pegasus, I bet they would!!