Thursday, January 12, 2012

Watts and Vader

Thanks to this year's Spectrum book (18) (I do so love that compilation of the year's best fantastical art), I was introduced to this gorgeous image from the Star Wars universe, entitled "Vader's Dream" by Kirk Reinert. It shows Vader / Anakin with his beloved Padme, and the Dark Side battling for him. Beautiful! But of course I also immediately admired the artist's classic Victorian art inspiration....


..."Hope" by Watts.


I still definitely think of this as a case of an artist taking a Victorian romantic image and making it their own in an admirable way. Even a non-Star Wars fan like me can get behind an image so lovely and symbolic.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I definitely think he used to it to be directly, blatantly symbolic. Padme embodies hope in the dream, to us, and to Anakin! Gorgeous image. I want to see that book!

Raine Szramski said...

Grace, here's another really beautiful (and eerie) Pre-Raphaelite inspired painting by Brom. http://fantasygallery.net/brom/art_24_158.html
I talked to Brom at the San Diego Comic-Con a couple years ago and told him this painting looked like a "very creepy Waterhouse." He beamed (as much as Brom can beam--he's a really nice guy, BTW.)and said excitedly how he'd just been to the Tate and saw "The Lady of Shalott". So I got to trade "Lady of Shalott" viewing stories with him which made ME beam, fangirl that I am.

Raine Szramski said...

http://www.syntheverse.com/images/preview/2001-0876.jpg

A better link for the Brom painting...

Grace said...

WOW, Raine...I love that Brom artwork! Not his usual fare.

And I agree too, Linds.

Joe said...

Hi great reading your blogg