Friday, February 8, 2008

Kelmscott Manor


While looking up websites on William Morris' estates Red House and Kelmscott Manor today in order to make a whining post about why it is that the Americanized Arts and Crafts movement seems to completely eliminate the factor of the medieval from the equation alltogether, (there...I just made my point in one sentence) I found the most beautiful online gift shop of Morris items on the Kelmscott website!

Granted, I cannot afford a thing on that site, especially not with the value of the almighty dollar right now, but it's still lovely to look at.

Check it out!

3 comments:

Margaret said...

That's my problem with the American Arts and Crafts/Craftsman movement as well. The funny thing is that I don't think they actually eliminate the medieval (it's a little too deeply engrained in the style), they just refuse to acknowledge it altogether!
~Margaret

Anonymous said...

We could all afford it if the American dollars wasn't totally worthless!

Grace said...

Indeed....in poundage, the prices aren't bad at all!

And Margaret, so very true...my first intro to A&C was the book _William Morris and the Arts and Crafts Home_ and I thought "eureka! I've found a name for it!" I tracked down a ton of books on Arts & Crafts, but all of the American ones left me feeling tepid.